Animal Rescue & Control
PHS/SPCA is a private, nonprofit organization contracted by San Mateo County (and its cities) to provide state-mandated animal control services, including:
- Animal rescue
- Pick up of stray/injured animals
- Removal of dead animals from public right-of-way except freeways/highways (maintained by CALTRANS)
- Enforcement of laws that protect animals and people
- Pick up dead or live wildlife on private property (only when wildlife has had direct contact with humans and/or domestic animals, such as a bite/attack)
The individual city (not PHS/SPCA) does handle the following:
- Barking dog complaints
- Patrols of parks (including dog parks)
- Situations where residents have too many animals or illegal animals, such as ferrets or alligators
For matters that need a response from our Animal Rescue & Control department, please call our Dispatch at
650-340-8200. We answer calls weekdays from 8:00-6:00 pm and weekends/holidays 8:00-5:00 pm.
Outside those hours, please call San Mateo County at 650-363-4953.
Dead Animal Reporting: Please call 650-340-7022 ext. 603 and leave a message.
Barking Dog Complaints: Please contact your local police.
Nuisance Wildlife: Please call our Wildlife Care Center at 650-340-7022 ext. 414 and leave a message.
Other: Animal bite reports, police reports, or photographs of animal bites or animal related violations may emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the address or case to which they’re related.
Animal Rescue & Control Director Jeff Christner can discuss field work done by our officers including dangerous/vicious animal investigations, our contract with San Mateo County including exclusions and response times, and more. You may email him at email@example.com or call at 650-685-8505.
Technical Large Animal Rescue
PHS/SPCA is equipped and trained to handle Technical Large Animal Rescue incidents.